Monday, December 6, 2010

Mangodreams

             Dude, mangoes are awesome.  Unfortunately, December is the completely wrong season for mangoes, but weather be damned, the country's and my appetite cannot wait another few months for ripeness (how many months, you ask?  I can't tell you - each time I ask I get a different answer, but I have a feeling peak mango season is sometime in July).  And so, one can buy raw mangoes, i.e. unripe mangoes flavored with chili and lime, at roadside stands, which I haven't yet tried, or one can buy one of the many mango-flavored products found at every local food/beverage stand.  I'm slowly working my way through the different options.  So far, I'm totally hooked on Maaza, which is a mango-flavored beverage offered by the Coca Cola Company, containing 10% mango juice and a whole ton of real cane sugar.  Delicious.  Why Coke doesn't offer it in the States is beyond me.  And then, there are the mango hard candies with the soft syrup interiors, a perfect way to wash down a nice cold drink, like a Maaza.  Every night, I say a few words of prayer to the mango gods to speed up the ripening process.  Apples are just not adequate substitutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment